1. Inflammation is behind many skin problems from acne to psoriasis. Whole fruits and vegetables, such as blueberries, apples, and leafy greens that are high in antioxidants and polyphenols help reduce inflammation and promote clear skin.
2. Omega-3’s are also great for reducing inflammation as they inhibit the enzyme that produces pro-inflammatory prostaglandin hormones.
3. Acne often occurs when pores get blocked by a mixture of oil and dead skin, which prevents toxins from escaping. Dandelion is a natural diuretic and detoxifier and therefore, can be helpful in facilitating the elimination of these toxic substances.
4. Both the skin and gut microbiome play a major role in regulating the immune system. When there are imbalances in the microbiome, the immune response becomes altered, which promotes the development of a variety of skin diseases, such as atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, acne, dandruff, and even skin cancer.
5. Studies have shown that there is a strong connection between our emotions, our gut, and our skin. When we experience psychological stressors, gut leakiness is heightened, which results in systemic inflammation. Increased inflammation is a major underlying cause of many skin issues.